Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Atlas of the North American Indian

Carl Waldman's Atlas of the North American Indian is what it sounds like: a very general reference book. I think it would be a very good resource for K-12 teachers. On the other hand, it doesn't contribute much to Algonkian church history (and, unfortunately, the Menominee reservation went unlabeled in one map).


I found this map in the Atlas and added a small copy of it to my New York Indian removal Wrap-up. I imagine that you can barely make out the phrases I highlighted, including "New York Indians" and "Delaware Outlet." At first I wondered at how small the Lenni Lenape/Delaware Reservation and "Outlet" appeared. It seemed way too small for that once-mighty Native nation. I later realized that the section in purple represents a large section of three western states: Nebraska, Kansas, and Oklahoma.

Don't forget that in addition to the space reserved for the New York Indians that you see on the map above, the Stockbridge, Oneida, Mohawk and Seneca Indians still have reservations in Wisconsin and New York.

No comments :